Sifu, a brand new martial arts game from Absolver developer Slocap, was announced at today’s State of Play, with narrative and gameplay details unveiled!
Sifu is a unique rogue-like game centred around Kung-Fu combat. Players will take on the role of a young Kung-Fu student who after his family is murdered, sets on a quest to hunt down their assassins! Sifu looks a little like if someone made a video game of The Raid and that corridor scene from Oldboy. It also has some other unique mechanics in it, such as an ageing mechanic every time you die!
What Was Announced?
The trailer for Sifu didn’t give a whole lot away, but it was very intriguing! It set the scene perfectly, displaying a world full of crime and punishment, one that can be used to your advantage when it comes to combat. We got to see some of the hand-to-hand combat in action, and frankly, it looks brutal! Here’s a list of everything that was announced for the upcoming game Sifu:
- Brutal hand-to-hand combat system based on Kung-Fu techniques
- A narrative all about avenging your family and hunting down their murderers
- Use a magical pendant to revive yourself whenever you die. But do so at a cost, as every time you die you respawn a lot older!
- Time-based mechanics that presumably affect combat
- The older you get the closer you get to game over
- Use everything at your disposal including the environment itself, throwable objects, makeshift weapons, windows and ledges
- Unlock unique skills to help you in taking down mysterious assassins
- An immersive single-player experience
- Coming to the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 some time this year
- More information coming in the ensuing weeks
I’m actually quite hyped for this title. It looks unique enough, and a fresh take on the rogue-like genre, that I’ll definitely pick it up when it launches. Are you excited for Sifu? Let us know down in the comments below!