The September Nintendo Direct aired today that showcased upcoming games launching this Winter and also announced some new titles coming in 2022.
What Was Announced?
Everyone seems to get excited whenever a Nintendo Direct rolls around. In the little time between Nintendo announcing the September Nintendo Direct and the direct actually happening, speculation goes wild. Perhaps we’ll finally see some Bayonetta 3 action? Maybe we’ll finally get a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announcement? Well, Nintendo is back at it again to please some fans and disappoint others. However, while many will leave the direct wishing their most anticipated game got some love, it’s hard to deny that Nintendo put on a good show.
However, it is a 40-minute long show, and not everyone has got time for that. So, to help you out, we’ve compiled a handy-dandy list of everything that was announced during the September Nintendo Direct. While you can still check out the full direct here, for those wishing to get a quick rundown, read on.
- Monster Hunter Rise is receiving a “massive expansion” titled Sunbreak. It will add “many new elements that will enhance the experience” including new story, locales, monsters and new hunting actions and quest ranks. It is set to launch in Summer 2022.
- Mario Party Superstars got a brand new trailer showcasing some new boards and modes. The boards shown off include Woody Woods, Yoshi’s Tropical Island and Horror Land. We also got a look at Mt. Minigames which includes 7 courses of varying minigames. They also confirmed that all boards and minigames will support online play.
- Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, a card-based RPG where everything is represented by cards was announced. It is a “fresh take on tabletop rpgs” that includes turn-based battles. It will launch on October 28th with a free demo available today.
- Disco Elysium – The Final Cut, the “groundbreaking roleplaying adventure”, launches digitally on October 12th and physically in 2022.
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Expansion Pass received a trailer. It will be available 29th October
- Chocobo GP, a Mario Kart style Final Fantasy game starring characters from the series, was announced. Players cast magic attacks in order to hit opponents which can be stacked to do more damage. You will be able to customise your engine and there will be local and online multiplayer. Additionally, a 64 player mode in which players compete in a bracket-style tournament will be present. It launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch next year.
- The last Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighter will be announced on October 5th in a seperate direct
- A new Kirby game titled Kirby and the Forgotten Land was announced. It is a 3D Kirby adventure similiar to the 3D Mario games in which you “freely move around in 3D areas using familiar Kirby moves”. It is launching in Spring 2022.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons is receiving a new free update in November which will add Brewsters cafe among other things. An Animal Crossing specific direct will announce more details in October.
- Mario Golf: Super Rush is getting its second free update. This time it will add Koopa Troopa and Ninji as well as two additional courses. The update launches today.
- Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition will be coming to the Nintendo Switch this Holiday
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is coming to the Nintendo Switch on November 11th.
- Dying Light 2: Stay Human is getting a Nintendo Switch cloud version which will launch on February 4th 2022. A free demo will launch on the same day.
- Dying Light: Platinum Edition is coming to the Nintendo Switch and will bring the game and all its DLC. It is coming on October 19th.
- It was announced that Triangle Strategy has undergone some changes thanks to feedback from the demo survey. Triangle Strategy is set to launch on March 4th 2022.
- Metroid Dread received a gameplay and story trailer. It is launching on October 8th.
The Big Nintendo Switch Online Announcement
- They announced that Nintendo Switch Online will get a new membership plan. It will add a collection of N64 and SEGA Genesis games.
- More games will be coming later, but on launch players can expect Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Mario Tennis to name a few.
- The games they announced to be coming later include Pokemon Snap, Mario Golf, Paper Mario and Banjo-Kazooie.
- Additionally, N64 and SEGA Genesis controllers are launching alongside it and will cost $49.99 each. The new membership plan launches in late October, and more information regarding pricing will be announced soon.
You can check out all the games available here.
Even More Announcements
- The Shadowrun Trilogy is coming to the Nintendo Switch and will release next year
- Castlevania Advanced Collection is coming to the Nintendo Switch later today. It contains a slew of new features
- Actraiser Renaissance has been remade for Nintendo Switch. Players will fight monsters in the side-scrolling action phase and create a flourishing civilisation on the lands they liberate. Additionally, players will be able to alternate between the original and new soundtrack. They also announced that new stages and boss battles have been added. It will launch later today
- Deltarune Chapter 2 will be made available later today as a free update to Deltarune Chapter 1
A series of games flashed on-screen before promptly disappearing. Here is everything that was included during that quick-fire round
- Hot Wheels Unleashed – September 30th
- Surviving the Aftermath – Holiday 2021
- Shin Megami Tensei V – Pre-orders begin today
- Wreckfest – Fall 2021
- Arcade Archives Pacman/Arcade Archives XEVIOUS – Available today
- Rune Factory 5 – March 22nd 2022
The Mario Movie
Miyamoto came on screen to announce new details pertaining to the upcoming Mario movie made in collaboration with Illumination. They announced a cast list for some of the major characters, including:
- Chris Pratt as Mario
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach
- Charlie Day as Luigi
- Jack Black as Bowser
- Keegan-Michael Key as Toad
- Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong
- Kevin Michael-Richardson as Kamek
- Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong
- Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike
- Charles Martinet as “surprise cameos”
They also announced that it would come to theatres at the end of 2022. In North America, it is set to release on December 21st 2022.
- Splatoon 3 received a gameplay trailer and a deep dive into its story mode titled Return of the Mammalians. The main hub world is called Splatsville and turf wars will take place in the Splatlands. New main and special weapons can be seen in te trailer. More updates will be announced soon
- Finally, Bayonetta 3 was announced with a flashy trailer. We saw a lot of gameplay, including being able to fly around as an enourmous dragon. It may also be set in the Astral Chain universe as we see the dog mascot before Bayonetta turns up. It is set to launch in 2022
What Did You Think?
While we certainly enjoyed the September Nintendo Direct, we would love to hear what you thought. So, were you excited about any of the new games? What about the Nintendo Switch Online announcement? Let us know on social media.