Nintendo held another of its Indie World Showcase events today and featured 19 indie games launching today and over the next few months.
What Was Announced?
It feels like a long time ago now that we covered one of these major events. In fact, the last time we did was PlayStation’s July State of Play. So, it was refreshing to see Nintendo advertise their latest Indie World Showcase event the other day. Now that it’s finally here, I can confidently say that this was a pretty standout direct. If you’re a fan of seeing “Later Today” pop up on screen after a reveal trailer, then you’ll be a fan of today’s Indie World Showcase. While a lot of the games shown off are coming either later this year or sometime next year, a large portion are actually going to be available, well, right now.
If you’d like to watch the 20-minute long showcase for yourself, then you can do so here. But, if you don’t have the time and want a quick run down, then we’ve compiled a handy list for your enjoyment. So, without further ado, here are all the game’s that were announced at today’s Indie World Showcase event.
- The game to start it all off was Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, a Jet Set Radio-style action game. The player must explore a “sprawling metropolis” all while trying to “become the greatest grafitti artist around”. You’ll have to expand your crew from a wide range of characters, and jump, grind and slide your way around the city. It is coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2022 and will be a timed console exclusive.
- TOEM: A Photo Adventure received a quick glimpse at its “laidback” gameplay. You’ll “explore different regions inspired by the Scandinavian countryside” all while taking photographs and meeting the locals. It is set to come to the Nintendo Switch in Fall 2021.
- Loop Hero was announced to be coming to the Nintendo Switch. Instead of playing as the hero, it’ll be your job to craft adventures for them. Loop Hero “takes strategy, balance and skill” as you use various cards to craft maps for your heroes to explore. It is releasing this Holiday.
- FAR: Changing Tides was showcased with its reveal trailer. Players will take on the role of a “new character” who embarks on an exciting new adventure. You’ll have to solve puzzles and explore the post-apocalyptic world as you try to find a new home. It was confirmed that you won’t need to play the previous game to understand what’s going on. FAR: Changing Tides is releasing in early 2022.
- Necrobarista: Final Pour is coming to the Nintendo Switch after being on Steam since last year. It is an anime-style game with “flavoursome storytelling”. The new edition has remastered visuals and is being labelled an “expanded director’s cut”. Additionally, you’ll also be able to create your own dialogue and stories in the new editor. It is launching later today.
Rapid-Fire Round 1
This is the first of two rapid-fire rounds to occur during the direct. Essentially these are some of the games releasing today:
- Garden Story is releasing today as a timed console exclusive
- Boyfriend Dungeon, the game all about wooing your weapons is out today. As the narrator said, “a couple that slays together, stays together”.
- Axiom Verge 2 is also out today.
More Major Announcements
- Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon is the latest game in the Shovel Knight franchise. This time players will be able to enjoy an action-packed puzzle adventure with a dungeon-crawling twist. Developed alongside Vine (no not the extinct app), this “part puzzler, part dungeon crawler hybrid” will see you fighting bosses both new and old as one of 10 available heroes. Each hero will also have their own power and unique playstyle. There is an additional exclusive feature for the Nintendo Switch that allows you to use your Shovel Knight amiibos. It is launching this Holiday.
- Islanders: Console Edition, the “quirky city builder” is coming to the Nintendo Switch. This procedurally generated strategy game has a “minimalist approach” and is more of a casual affair. You’ll be able to “create the city of your dreams” by building up points to unlock new buildings. It is launching later today as a timed console exclusive.
- Metal Slug Tactics got a quick trailer and some new information. It is a “fresh take on Metal Slug” that still “retains all the things fans are familiar with”. This version is more of a tactical title than sidescroller like the original games. It is coming to the Nintendo Switch in 2022.
- Tetris Effect: Connected is coming to the Nintendo Switch with cross-platform multiplayer. It launches on October 8th, 2021.
Rapid-Fire Round 2
Again, they smashed through a bunch of games without much narration. These are games we are mostly familiar with. The news is more focused on their release dates.
- Astroneer is coming in Janurary 2022
- Hundred Days – Winemaking Simulator (a game we’ve actually reviewed) is coming to the Nintendo Switch in Holiday 2021
- Slime Rancher: Plortable Edition is launching on the Nintendo Switch later today
- LumbearJack is coming in 2022
- Curious Expedition 2 is arriving later today
- Gang Beasts is launching this Fall 2021
The final announcement before the show finished was a release date for Chucklefish’s Eastward. It is releasing on the Nintendo Switch on September 2021 as a timed console exclusive. Pre-orders begin later today.
What Did You Think?
This was certainly a packed direct that featured a lot of games releasing today. But, before you go out and pick them all up, let us know what you thought of the direct via our social media.